Is it an offence to allow Japanese Knotweed to grow on my land?

11th December 2012

Yes. Under section 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is a criminal offence to plant or otherwise cause Japanese Knotweed (scientifically known as Fallopia japonica)  to grow in the wild.  

If you are found guilty the penalties are severe. In the Magistrates Court there is a maximum £5000 fine or 6 months’ imprisonment. In the Crown Court the fine is unlimited and the maximum term of imprisonment is 2 years.  

If you find Japanese Knotweed growing on your land or require advice about environmental matters generally contact the Environmental Law team at Ansons on 01543 263456 or by email to