Separation from an Unmarried Partner

If you are separating from a partner that you are not married to, then you will naturally be concerned about your rights as a cohabitee, especially if you have property, children, business interests and assets together.

Common law marriages do not exist and the law for unmarried couples is complex. Cohabitation agreements or living together agreements can limit potential disputes. You may be able to make a claim against property whether or not you are a joint owner.

Our family law solicitors in Lichfield and Cannock, Staffordshire will advise you on whether or not you are entitled to make a claim against property and where there are children involved, we can help you resolve where they are going to live, how much contact they will have with the other parent, and help you agree child support payments.

It is not always necessary to go to court and our family lawyers can refer you to mediation to try and resolve your dispute amicably. If this is not possible our family solicitors can apply to the court to secure the interests of yourself and those of your children.

You may be able to make an application to the court for financial provision for any dependent children of your relationship.

Our family solicitors in Cannock and Lichfield, Staffordshire, can help you to agree arrangements for:

Enquire about this service

Please enter your full name
Please enter your email address
Please select a department
Please enter your message
Please answer the maths question

Who to contact

What others say